Sometimes, when we attempt to take special care of our plants, we commit some excesses. I tell you how you can know, how much water they need and How often should you water your indoor plants?.
If you are fond of gardening, you will have to notice that each plant has different needs. Therefore, to take care of them correctly, you must take into every detail. Believe it or not, in order to grow and stay healthy, the type of pot and soil they are in, as well as the area of the house in which it is located, has an influence. Also, the time of year in which we are because in some seasons it is hotter and there is more light than in others. According to all this, what we should do varies.
In spring and summer, for example, plants need a lot of water, as this is the time of year when they renew their leaves and make new roots. On the other hand, In winter and autumn, since there is not as much light during the day, the plants have less photosynthetic activity and consume less energy, so they need less water.
How do we know when a plant needs water?
Very easy! Observing its leaves! If they need water, the leaves will start to turn yellow or dull. We must also look at the soil, if it is dry it is time to water a little.
On the other hand, if a plant has received a lot of water, it will begin to have spots on the leaves, especially those that are closer to the base. It is also possible that a little mold appears in the soil and that the plant stops growing, since with so much mud it cannot take the nutrients from the soil.
So how often should we water them?
To prevent the roots from rotting, what we must do is check the humidity of the soil in the pot. For this, the easiest thing is to grab a little bit with your hand to feel how wet or dry it is.
Some useful watering tips:
- Plants with many leaves need more water. Especially if they are large leaves.
- In times of growth and flowering, you have to water them a little more.
- If there is hot wind in summer, we should pour a little water on them every day.
- Clay pots are porous, so they lose more water. Plastic pots, on the other hand, retain water for longer. For this reason, plants that are in plastic pots should be watered less frequently than those in clay pots.
- When watering, avoid wetting the flowers. You can accidentally hurt them.
- When you water, check that the pot drains well. That is to say, that the water comes out through the lower holes.
- Water until the water runs out the bottom of the pot. Then, quickly empty the accumulated water in the dish under the plant.
Gardening is a very nice hobby that helps us connect with nature and release tension. If you still don’t have plants at home, go ahead! These tips will help you keep them cute.